Why it is necessary to provide Plant Supports for Perennials
Perennials in borders often grow strong heavy growth that makes them easily susceptible to damage by wind and heavy rain if they are not well supported. It is advisable to stake them early on in the season to help avoid any later mishaps. In particular tall plants with large flowers will require extra support.
Plant supports should be ideally inserted in spring, before plants have grown on too much. The plants will then grow through the support and hide it from view. Staking plants when they are more advanced and can result in damage to the plant. It may be necessary to continue tying in stems or raise the level of the support used as the plant grows.
Main reasons for choosing a perenial plant support:
• Plants with tall brittle stems and substantial flower spikes such delphinium are easily damaged by strong winds
• Clumps of many perennials can split and flop on the ground in bad weather or under the weight of their own flowers
• Even shorter perennials can droop over the edges of the border damaging the turf and will require staking
• Flowers of others, e.g. peony or dahlia, can become too heavy and may need to be well supported to appreciate them fully
• Collapsed stems can also hide adjoining plants
• Overfeeding can make the problem worse by encouraging rampant soft growth that is
Some other points to consider:
• Look for the most suitable shaped support, to match the growth of the plant
• Don't tie in plants too rigidly; they should be able to move in the wind
• When tying in individual stems, use a soft tie rather than string to prevent rubbing
Recommended plant supports for specific plant types
Tall Circular Plant Supports – The Tall Circular Plant support is ideal for supporting: Dahlias, Delphiniums, Hollyhocks, Verbascums, Monkshood, Helenium, Salvia, Rudbeckia, Phlox, Roses, Sweet peas, Climbing beans, Cosmos, Shrub Roses, Echinacea, Cannas, Verbena and Sunflowers.
Short Circular Plant Supports – The Short Circular Plant Support is ideal for supporting: Lupin, Penstemon, Tulips, Crocosmia, Achillea, Gerbera, Heliopsis, Cosmos, Stocks and Lilies.
Trumpet Plant Support – The Trumpet Plant support is deal for supporting: Lupins, Peonies, Shrub Roses, Papavers, Phloxs, Salvias, herbaceous clematis, Anemones, Tulips, Alliums, Crocosmia, Salvia, Fennel, Kniphofia, Echinacea, Rudbeckia, Lillies, Gerbera and Stocks.
Border Restraints – Harrod Border Restraints are ideal when proppin gup tall stems or grouping together an invasive plant / shrub. They hold your flowers from pathways or off your lawn and help keep borders neat. Great for supporting Lupins, Lillies,
Y-Stakes / Grow Through rings Single Stemmed Plant supports available in numerous heights. Delphenium, Rudbeckia Laciniata, perennial sunflowers, oriental poppies, foxgloves, Aster bellflowers, phlox, peonies, Leucanthemums, Dahlias, Heliopsis, Crambe Cordifolia.
Stemmed Plant supports available in numerous heights. Delphenium, Rudbeckia Laciniata, perennial sunflowers, oriental poppies, foxgloves, Aster bellflowers, phlox, peonies, Leucanthemums, Dahlias, Heliopsis, Crambe Cordifolia, Lillies.