The secret of the success of the portable vegetable cage is the very tough but exceptionally light, matt black powder coated 16mm aluminium tubing which forms a rigid framework, ably assisted by our hi-tech, durable and reusable, black nylon Harrod Slot & Lock® connectors.
The Harrod Slot & Lock® Aluminium Portacage has also been updated and now features the innovative and award winning Storm Proof Clips to prevent wind and snow damage to the cage. The fitted 7mm mesh butterfly netting is secured to the framework with the clips, which will detach from the framework in high winds or heavy snowfall. The netting then drops over the crops and prevents the frame being damaged or buckled. Heavy Duty U-Shaped Anchors are also available separately to provide even greater stability to the Portacage (see accessories below)
This protective, freestanding structure can easily be lifted by one or two people and moved from bed to bed - ideal for crop rotation - and with 1.5m of clear growing height and our reliable fitted 7mm soft butterfly netting, your fruit and vegetables inside will be as safe as houses!
Suitable for use over a small pond as well as in the kitchen garden, the Harrod Slot & Lock® aluminium portable vegetable cage can be taken down in the blink of an eye and takes up little room when storing - and being aluminium, the black tubing (practically invisible when in position) will not rust. The Slot & Lock connectors simply push onto the 1.2mm gauge aluminium tubing framework and are securely held in place by tightening the stainless steel screws, allowing the cage configuration to be easily changed.
Extending your aluminium vegetable cage is simple as well as all the aluminium tubing components, netting, pegs and Slot & Lock connectors and Slot & Lock brace kits are available separately.
Please Note:- The Slot & Lock Cages can be modified by cutting the aluminium tubing - if you can't see the perfect size then buy a size larger and cut the tubing to fit. We are unable to offer a bespoke design service for our Slot & Lock Cages.
- Harrod Slot & Lock® Aluminium Portacages stand 1.5m H
- Framework made from matt black powder coated aluminium tubing
- Updated design includes Storm Proof Clips to prevent damage in high winds or heavy snowfall
- Fitted 7mm soft mesh butterfly netting secures easily to framework with the storm proof clips
- 16mm diameter tubing
- Upright tubing caps provided
- 1.2mm wall thickness
- Tubing held securely together by durable and reusable black nylon Harrod Slot & Lock® connectors
- Available in a number of length and width options
- Netting keeps out crop-wrecking butterflies but allows smaller pollinating insects through
- Assemble and dismantle in minutes
- Connectors hold tubing firmly in position - no turning, spinning or falling out
- Ground frame makes cage competely portable - no pushing uprights into soil
- Ideal for spot protection of ripening or fruiting crops
- Tall enough to accommodate fruit bushes - place over when fruit is developing and ripening
- Supplied complete with assembly instructions
- Cage kit includes all tubing, connectors, fitted netting and storm proof clips. Steel ground pegs are available separately.
- All components also available separately
- Extending cage or changing configuration is simple
- Full 1.5m of growing height
- Black coated aluminium non-rusting so will last years
- Ideal for crop rotation
- Can also be used to cover and protect ponds
- This product is supplied as a kit for self assembly.
- Heavy Duty U-Shaped Anchors available separately
- Cage braces are not included in the kit but are available separately for extra stability
This is a well made and sturdy product. It did take a lot longer to assemble than anticipated, as the slot and lock system and corner braces have so many screws, bolts and nuts that need fixing. Also, the storm proof clips are incredibly fiddly to fix to the netting. Although a quality product, I felt the price was very high and would have expected the strengthening corner braces to be included in the price - not nearly £100 extra!
We have a small flock of hens that have been regularly attacked and killed by birds of prey. As out hens are used to being free range we wanted to provide them with something that would keep them safe but allow us to move them around and give them some space. This portable cage is perfect for the job, as the close knit netting is strong and appears to be very durable
Bought a 2m long cage for use in a veg bed. We have fairly shallow ground in terms of being able to get poles in far enough. The cage was very easy to put together and is very light, even at two meters long if you stood in the middle you could move it around on your own. As we have shallow cultivated ground before it gets to very stony/shillety ground I got some ground pegs else where as I was advised the 17.5cm pegs would not go over the 16mm tubing. In fact they are Harrod Sport U Peg Anchors (PEG-025) from a sports supplier and they fit perfectly over the tubing and are 20cm long. Perhaps they could be sold here as they are by Harrod's other section of the company. The only slight confusion I had is in exactly how you are meant to attach the netting. There are only enough storm clips for the top and I am unsure exactly what you are meant to do at the sides. In the pictures above they seem to have used the storm clips. I used some of the releasable net ties loosely round the uprights in the hope that the netting will just slide down. I have also just used metal pegs along the bottom of the netting so we can get in easily at the moment. Overall I am happy with the cage and hopefully it will keep our broccoli safe from pigeons and butterflies while giving them enough space to grow.
What The Press Say
The Edible GardenSpring 2012
Protect your crops with the new Slot and Lock Aluminium Portacage...a treat for all fruit and vegetable growers. This nifty yet practical portable cage is tough and exceptionally light...the freestanding structure is ideal for crop rotation with 1.5m of growing height and a covering of soft mesh butterfly netting.