The Harrod Slot & Lock® Aluminium Vegetable Cage with butterfly netting is the ideal structure for protecting vulnerable brassicas and all kinds of home grown garden or allotment vegetables thanks to the highly effective three-pronged defence provided by the durable and reusable black nylon Harrod Slot & Lock® connectors, tough 16mm diameter aluminium uprights and top rods and the butterfly-busting 7mm square mesh butterfly netting, designed specifically to keep your cabbages caterpillar-free!
Providing a very useful 1.2m of growing height, the aluminium framework is simple and very quick to assemble, can be taken down in the blink of an eye and takes up little room when storing - and being aluminium, the tubing will not rust. The Slot & Lock connectors simply push onto the 1.2mm gauge aluminium tubing framework and are securely held in place by tightening the stainless steel screws, allowing the cage configuration to be easily changed.
The framework itself comprises strong and corrosion resistant 16mm aluminium tubing which is secured using our Award Winning Harrod Slot & Lock® Connectors. The cages have also been updated to include the Harrod Net Claw Pegs - an innovative peg which is inserted into the ground once and use the tension of the netting to hook and unhook the netting from the claw teeth, saves unpegging and any potential net damage.
All cages up to 3m x 3m are supplied with a fitted net, larger cages are supplied with a netting pack that may be larger than required, but can be trimmed if there is too much excess netting.
Extending your aluminium vegetable cage is simple as well as all the aluminium tubing components, netting, pegs and Slot & Lock connectors are available separately – we’ve even got Slot & Lock brace kits to give your vegetable cage extra rigidity in windy and exposed locations and in light soil. Vegetable growing has never been this easy!
Please Note:- The Slot & Lock Cages can be modified by cutting the aluminium tubing - if you can't see the perfect size then buy a size larger and cut the tubing to fit. We are unable to offer a bespoke design service for our Slot & Lock Cages.
- Harrod Slot & Lock® Aluminium Vegetable Cage Kits stand 1.2mH
- Framework made from aluminium tubing
- 16mm diameter tubing
- Uprights measure 1.45m so 25cm can be inserted into the ground
- Upright tubing caps provided
- 1.2mm wall thickness
- Tubing held securely together by durable and reusable black nylon Harrod Slot & Lock® connectors
- Available in a number of length and width options
- Covered with 7mm mesh butterfly netting
- Netting keeps out crop-wrecking butterflies but allows smaller pollinating insects through
- Assemble and dismantle in minutes
- Connectors hold tubing firmly in position - no turning, spinning or falling out
- Supplied complete with assembly instructions
- Cage kit includes all tubing, connectors, netting and innovative Harrod Net Claw Pegs
- All components also available separately
- Extending cage or changing configuration simple
- Full 1.2m of growing height
- Aluminium non-rusting so will last years
- Ideal for crop rotation
- This product is supplied as a kit for self assembly
- Intermediate uprights are only included on cage lengths over 3m
- We recommend removing the netting over winter to prevent any potential damage from heavy snow and high winds
N.B. all cages up to 3m x 3m have fitted netting for easier access to beds.
HARROD SLOT & LOCK® ALUMINIUM VEGETABLE CAGE KITS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Can footplates be used for these cages?
No. The footplates are designed for cages 2m high with 25mm diameter tubing. The uprights on this cage are 16mm diameter and due to the weight of the cage they are not necessary.
2. Can I order extra parts for my fruit cage e.g. spare connector
Yes. All component parts - connectors, tubing, netting and pegs - can be purchased separately as listed on this page or from our catalogue. If you can't find what you are looking for, please contact our Customer Services Team or call them on 0333 400 6400.
We also stock bracing which can be used to add rigidity to the structure, especially in exposed locations and in light soils.
3. If I order a standard cage, but then cut the bars to get exact sizes, does this affect my guarantee?
The aluminium horizontals of these cages are 16mm diameter and can be cut with a hacksaw fairly easily. The aluminium is resistant to corrosion, so as long as the structure is otherwise assembled as per our instructions the warranty is unaffected.
4. Can I order a size that is not advertised on your website?
The components are all listed in the catalogue and online so you can pick and mix to make your own size of structure. Please contact our Customer Services Team or call them on 0333 400 6400 for help with this.
What The Press Say
Grow Your OwnJanuary 2012
Raised Beds and Planter - Dave Finkle adds structure to his veg plot with these must-have raised bed kits
5 ***** Slot and Lock Frame with fitted butterfly net - the cage uses strong, lightweight aluminium poles. They just require the use of a screwdriver to plug into a new, revolutionary system, making the cage adjustable in height. The cages are already made to measure to fit the dimensions of the raised beds on offer. I was very impressed with the fitted net. Already stitched to shape, it is effortlessly fitted and removed.
Telegraph GardeningNovember 2012
Tried and Tested - widgets that work
A Stronger Support - the new Harrod Slot & Lock system has locking screws to hold aluminium tubes firmly in place so you can build sturdy cages to support net covers. Having tried out a kit, first on a blueberry bush and then on winter brassicas. I found the cage quick to assemble, easy to move around raised beds, strong, even when a deer got onto the allotment and turned over the cage the frame remained intact. The optional extra of a slip-on butterfly net cover is a real timesaver, it pulls over the cage and in an instant fits snugly. The Harrod Slot and Lock system is available in a range of sizes.