Our Heavy Duty Steel Chicken Cages and Poultry Cages offer exceptional quality and value, galvanised and powder coated matt black all cages include heavy duty netting, fittings and a door at no extra cost.
Designed and manufactured by us in the UK, the heavy duty steel chicken cage framework provides the ultimate in durability, built to withstand the most extreme weather conditions. The strong extruded polyethylene side netting encloses your chickens from all but the most determined pests. If you feel foxes, rodents or other animals are likely to target your birds, we strongly advise you to reinforce the lower regions of the side netting with our electro-welded chicken mesh. The bottom of the cage should have the chicken weld mesh wire buried at least 8-12 inches in the ground and then turned outwards by about another 8 - 12 inches
Not only do the framework and netting combine to protect your chickens and game birds but being walk-in height, our Poultry Cages are simple to enter for cleaning and also feeding the chickens.
- Designed and manufactured by us in the UK
- 10 year framework guarantee
- Unique 25mm x 1.5mm wall square section steel framework provides exceptional strength
- Steel Framework is fully galvanised and matt black polyester powder coated for a weatherproof finish
- Complete Cage includes steel framework, all fittings, heavy duty poultry netting and one door as standard
- Cage stands 2.0m above the ground with 0.3m of cage upright is secured in ground
- Complete with extra heavy-duty extruded polyethylene poultry side netting with a 16mm x 16mm square mesh
- High density polyethylene heavy-duty poultry roof netting has a 20mm x 20mm diamond mesh
- One heavy duty steel door unit is included complete with diagonal bracing support, sliding door catch and heavy duty footplate
- Fully illustrated instructions are included with all Harrod Horticultural poultry cages
- Straightforward and easy to assemble
- For additional protection a welded wire mesh netting can be used at the base of the cage and dug into the ground below
- Shade netting is also available if you wish to shade off an area of the roof
- When choosing the size of your Poultry Cage please note that our cage sizes are generous and where space is limited please allow an extra 2% to the measurements for fitting
Superb quality, went together really well. Good instructions and very handy DVD as well.
The cage arrived quickly and the instructions/DVD were excellent. It is very well designed. I only have two small gripes - my cage is 3.5m long and it has no intermediary posts to support the top rail. As I thought I would be getting some I bought four corner supports and I can only use three as the door needs to be placed in a corner. I think 3.5m is too long without additional support. To solve this maybe Harrod should e mail the final design to each customer - it would avoid this problem.
This item was delivered very quickly, even though I live on an island. I particularly liked the instruction DVD. We needed 3 people to join the top section to the uprights, but managed all other sections easily with 2. We decided to cement the posts in, mostly due to the softness of the ground, but ended up with a very solid cage, which also looks really smart. Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase and would recommend this product to others.
WALK-IN STEEL POULTRY CAGE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What are the benefits of purchasing a steel poultry cage from you, rather than from another company?
Our steel cages are made using square tubing, whereas other companies use round tubing; 25mm square tubing is stronger than 25mm round section tube. Also, our connectors are plastic coated solid steel with square sections, again making them stronger. Other companies’ connectors are of a different design that simply screws to the tops of the uprights. Also, our door is far superior to most others because it has a support brace for strength, a footplate for the upright to hold it firmly in place, and a door catch. The support brace prevents the door frame from ‘dropping’ out of shape, which could allow a gap to appear above the door frame, which in turn, could allow birds to enter.
Of course it's easy to dismiss competitor's cages and praise our own design but we hope the information above gives plenty of substance to our claims!
2. What are the benefits of purchasing a steel walk-in poultry cage, rather than an aluminium one?
Steel cages are stiffer and feel more rigid than aluminium. Our steel cages are supplied with galvanised, powder coated square tubing which allows us to offer a 10 year guarantee. Steel cages also tend to look better in the garden as their black framework allows them to blend in better to the garden.
3. How many support braces would I need for my poultry cage?
These give a cage extra rigidity when exposed to high winds, or softer soil. For these specific cages, we would recommend that you brace all 4 corners of a cage. For cages over 6m/19’6” we recommend that at least the middle upright is braced. Please contact our Customer Services Department or call us 0333 400 6400 (local rate) to find out exactly how many braces you will require for your cage.
4. How many footplates would I need for my poultry cage?
These ensure that uprights maintain position on softer grounds, or in areas that are exposed to windy conditions. We recommend that all uprights are fitted with a footplate. Please contact our Customer Services Department or call us 0333 400 6400 (local rate) to find out exactly how many are required for your cage or download our Walk-In Steel Fruit and Vegetable Cage Footplates and Sockets Guide for an instant answer.
5. How many ground sockets would I need for my poultry cage?
These make installation of your uprights much easier and the cage more rigid in softer soils as they sink into the ground further and are a snug fit on the uprights. However they can be difficult to drive into stony hard baked soil areas. Please contact our Customer Services Department or call us 0333 400 6400 (local rate) to find out exactly how many are required for your cage or download our Walk-In Steel Fruit and Vegetable Cage Footplates and Sockets Guide for an instant answer.
6. Where do I position my door unit?
We recommend that you position your door unit against a corner upright, purely for stability. However, you may position it against any of the external uprights of your cage. Should you wish to position it in-between two external uprights, you will also need to purchase some extra parts, which are not currently advertised on our website. Please contact our Customer Services Department or call us 0333 400 6400 (local rate) to order these.
7. Can I order extra parts for my poultry cage e.g. spare connectors?
Yes, you may please contact our Customer Services Department or call us 0333 400 6400 (local rate) to order.
8. Can I see one of these cages already installed?
Being a mail order company, we do not have our products on display. You may however visit one of our show or reference gardens dotted around the country. Please visit our Show Gardens section for more information and contact details.
9. Can a decorative roof unit be added to a standard flat roofed steel cage at a later date?
Unfortunately this would not be an easy process. However, we will always evaluate customers requirements, so please contact our Made to Measure Team or call us 0333 400 1444 (local rate). for a free quotation form. Alternatively you can complete our simple Online Quotation Form.
10. You advertise that these cages can cope with ‘slightly sloping’ ground. How much is ‘slightly sloping’, before the cage has to be quoted as a bespoke cage?
The aim is always to achieve a level roof 2m from the ground, so that the doors and the side netting work correctly. If the slope in question means that distance of the uprights at one end of the cage will be less than 25cm into the ground, then the cage needs to have longer uprights, and therefore would be classed as ‘bespoke’. This is to ensure that the uprights are inserted into the ground sufficiently to achieve the required structural integrity. These standard steel cages can cope with locally uneven ground of about plus/minus 10cm on one upright per bay, but it is better to level any dips or bumps before erecting the cage.
11. Can footplates and braces be added to my cage at a later date, if required?
Yes they can. However, it is a little tricky because you will need to remove the horizontal bars and connectors from the uprights in order to add these parts. It's far easier to plan your purchase carefully, order the braces and footplates with your cage and fit them as you install the cage.
12. Can I fit the braces to internal uprights, as well as external?
The braces are designed to be fitted to the external uprights, but there is no reason why you cannot also add them to the internal uprights, to give your cage that little bit of extra stability.
13. What is the longest bar length you do, without it being supported by an upright?
The longest bar length that we supply as a standard size is 3.5m long. If you would like more information regarding the size of bars supplied with our cages, please contact our Customer Services Department or call us 0333 400 6400 (local rate).
14. If I order a standard cage, but then cut the bars to get exact sizes, does this affect my guarantee?
Unfortunately altering a standard cage will affect its guarantee. If you require a size that is not advertised as a standard size, please complete our simple Online Quotation Form or contact our Made to Measure Team or call us on 0333 400 1444 (local rate) to discuss your requirements.
15. I have fitted the roof netting to my cage however it has left a lot of overhang in the corners, which looks messy. Any tips?
The roof netting supplied with a cage will always be slightly larger than the cage itself, because we like to allow approximately 50cm overhang on each side for securing it into place. You can simply roll up any overhang and secure it into place using the releasable cable ties, that are supplied with your cage as standard fixings.
16. Can I swap the standard netting for another type?
Yes you may request alternate netting than that supplied with the cage as standard. Please contact our Customer Services Department or call us 0333 400 6400 (local rate) for details of the netting we can provide.
17. Can I order a size that is not advertised on your website?
For a non-standard, or ‘bespoke’ size fruit cage, If you require a size that is not advertised as a standard size, please complete our Online Quotation Form, email our Made to Measure Team or call us on 0333 400 1444 (local rate) to discuss your requirements.