Winner of 'Best Compost Making Product' in the 'Great British Growing Awards 2018'
The updated 200 litre capacity HOTBIN Mk2 - like most things that work - is a simple design to help maximise what nature does by bringing together the right conditions to make hot composting easier. It is the bacteria decomposing the waste that generates the heat and the HOTBIN aims to keep them happy so you can enjoy fast successful composting.
The 55cm wide by 55cm deep and 115cm high HOTBIN composter does this by providing effective aeration between the bottom air inlet plate and the air outlet rotating valve, removing excess water through the valve as steam and allowing you to control the rate of heat loss.The HOTBIN can achieve hot composting between 40-60 °C, which means it can produce a rich compost faster. These hotter temperatures produced by the HOTBIN means you can recycle more types of household waste, even food waste.
The HOTBIN works all year round including the winter months, it arrives assembled and is ready to use and comes with a whole entourage of extras which will help revolutionise your home composting set up!
HOTBIN Mk2 Redesign - What's New?
- Leachate Collection System - the redesign features a much requested 'Leachate Collection System' which collects the naturally occuring leachate which can be used as a liquid fertiliser. The newly designed angled base funnels the liquid to collect in the base which can then be drained via the tap when required.
- Superior Lid Seal - redesigned to include a raised step around the top edge of the HOTBIN seal which interlocks like a tongue and groove join when the lid is closed. This improved seal helps keep the lid firmly closed, prevents any water ingress during heavy rainfall and locks in that heat so the HOTBIN works even more efficiently.
- Even Better Looking - The protruding hinge has been removed from the original design to make the whole unit perfectly square. The aeration mesh now slots into the base instead of sitting proud on the exterior of the unit, improving the overall look.
Please note: Deliveries outside UK Mainland to Scottish Highlands, Offshore Scottish Islands, Orkney & Shetland Islands, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Isles of Scilly, Isle of Man and Channel Islands will incur an additional delivery charge - see below for details.
Please allow up to 10-14 working days for delivery - HOTBIN Gift Certificates Available on Request
- 200L HOTBIN
- User Guide
- Lid Thermometer
- 2 Cam Straps (colour may vary)
- Kick Start Bottle
- Internal Thermometer
- Raking Stick
- 25L Bag of Bulking Agent: partially composted wood chip
- Material - made from expanded polypropylene (EPP) 50mm thick walls - Lightweight (96% air) & 100% recyclable
- Dimensions - 550mm wide x 550mm deep x 1145mm high. Requires 675mm depth & 1605mm height for the lid to be fully opened.
- Capacity of 200 litres - approximately wheelie bin sized
- Weight 8kg (when empty) - 22kg including everything supplied
- HOTBIN is delivered fully assembled with user guide included
- Situating the HOTBIN - anywhere on a flat surface - soil, patio, grass, gravel or paving in sun or shade
- Waste requirements - Minimum of 5kg/10litres - 2 small 5 litre kitchen caddies of food and/or garden waste per week
- Designed for an average 3-5 person household with a small garden.
- Bulking agent - partially composted woodchips required in hot composting to aerate the waste.
- Shredded Paper - used to control moisture levels in the HOTBIN.
- Long-stem thermometer for tracking temperature during setup of the HOTBIN included
- Winter 'kick start' heater (also known as a 'hot water bottle') included
- Fully insulated walls
- Uses latest composting technology
- Hinged lid
- Helps promote temperatures of 60°C in top layer
- Internal thermometer for tracking exact temperature in top layer of waste
- Air inlet and outlet for effective aeration
- Capable of producing mulching compost in 30 days and mature material in 90 days
- Manufacturers advise cooked meat/bones/fish can be added
- Airtight lid to reduce smells and unwanted visitors
- Aeration valve plate to moderate temperature
- Biofilter unit to stop any unfriendly smells
- Easy to remove hatch door panel to take out mature compost
- 3 year manufacturing guarantee on the HOTBIN unit
- 1 year guarantee on sundries (raking stick, cam straps, additional thermometer)
- Please Note: The HOTBIN is not vermin proof.
- For more information download the Hotbin User Guide (1.09MB)
As the HOTBIN Composter is a bulky item, there will be an extra delivery charge to addresses outside of UK Mainland - extra delivery charges will be made when delivering to Scottish Highlands, Offshore Scottish Islands, Orkney & Shetland Islands, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Isles of Scilly, Isle of Man and Channel Islands. Please e-mail our Customer Services Department or telephone us on 0333 400 6400 (local rate) for a quote.
This hotbin is such a good idea. It works well in breaking down organic matters. Big problem I have had though is its a big attraction for rats who knaw their way through the walls, and even take up residence. it is definititely not rat proof. I live in a rural area so might not be a problem elsewhere. I have talked with the makers and researched, but it is vulnerable to rat attack. I am going to order another one, but going to cover it in chicken wire and stand on a concrete slab, and closer to people activities which is a deterrent to rats apparently.
I've only had my Hotbin for four weeks, so I cannot at this stage comment on the compost produced, or any difficulties I might encounter collecting it. However it has so far performed very well. I had a large amount of semi-composted chicken litter to deal with and I have added this to kitchen and garden waste and fresh sweepings from the chicken run each time I have fed it. The bin quickly got up to heat. It was running at 50 degrees by the end of the first week and is now consistently at 60-65. I quickly used up the bulking agent provided and I am now using shredded wood from my garden together with shredded paper and cardboard which seems to work well. (It helps to have a good garden shredder and a paper shredder. It is a most satisfying way of dealing with annoying junk mail)
I have only had my hotbin in a few weeks so I have not had any compost yet. However it is reducing my garden waste quickly. There is no smell and It is easy to get up to temperature as long as I followed the instructions. I only have a small garden and was a little concerned at first that i could not sipply enough waste to keep it fed but i soon got into the composting habit. My green recycling bin has only gone out for collection once since i bought my hotbin. I put all my green waste in and all unwanted post (shredded). Worms have found their way in somehow and are helping to breakdown the contents. I have not been brave enough to try to compost kitchen waste yet. I would recommend this product to all gardeners expensive, but it works.
The HOTBIN Composter comes with a whole host of accessories to help your hot composting take off;
• 40 litre bag of bulking agent (composted wood chip) to use if recycling food waste included in the price
• Long-stem thermometer for tracking temperature during setup of the HOTBIN included in the price
• Raking stick included in the price
• Winter 'kick start' heater (also known as a 'hot water bottle') included in the price
The HOTBIN comes in one size. To keep it hot composting, you need to feed it a minimum amount of waste regularly. It is important you match the HOTBIN to the amount of waste you generate. The unit is designed for a 3-5 person family with a small-medium garden.
In the unlikely event you experience any problems with your HOTBIN composter, you can contact the HOTBIN Helpline on 0845 621 0095, drop an e-mail to email@example.com or visit the HOTBIN website at www.hotbincomposting.com
You can also download the useful HOTBIN USER GUIDE (1.09MB) with advice on how to set up and maintain HOTBIN.
What The Press Say
James Martin's Saturday Morning KitchenMarch 2019
James Martin and David Domoney Talk About the HOTBIN Composter
The HOTBIN recieved a glowing review and David discribes the HOTBIN as "The Ferrari of the Compost Bin World".
Grow Your OwnNovember 2018
The HOTBIN compost bin recycles all cooked food and garden wast in just 30-90 days by reaching temperatures of 40-60 degrees C. Watch the temperature rise using the thermometer in the lik as this product insulates the heat generated naturally by bacteria. No tumbling or turning is required. HOTBIN is the winner of 'Best Compost Making Product' in the Great British Growing Awards 2018