HotBin Composter (Mk2)
200L Capacity, 55cm W x 63cm D x 115cm H
The new HOTBIN Mk2 composter cooks compostable garden and kitchen material at temperatures of up to 60°, resulting in faster composting times and comes with a 3 year manufacturing guarantee on the HOTBIN unit.
The updated 200 litre capacity HOTBIN Mk2 - like most things that work - is a simple design to help maximise what nature does by bringing together the right conditions to make hot composting easier. It is the bacteria decomposing the waste that generates the heat and the HOTBIN aims to keep them happy so you can enjoy fast successful composting.
Winner of 'Best Compost Making Product' in the 'Great British Growing Awards 2018'
The 55cm wide by 55cm deep and 115cm high HOTBIN composter does this by providing effective aeration between the bottom air inlet plate and the air outlet rotating valve, removing excess water through the valve as steam and allowing you to control the rate of heat loss.The HOTBIN can achieve hot composting between 40-60 °C, which means it can produce a rich compost faster. These hotter temperatures produced by the HOTBIN means you can recycle more types of household waste, even food waste.
The HOTBIN works all year round including the winter months, it arrives assembled and is ready to use and comes with a whole entourage of extras which will help revolutionise your home composting set up!
HOTBIN Mk2 Redesign - What's New?
- Leachate Collection System - the redesign features a much requested 'Leachate Collection System' which collects the naturally occuring leachate which can be used as a liquid fertiliser. The newly designed angled base funnels the liquid to collect in the base which can then be drained via the tap when required.
- Superior Lid Seal - redesigned to include a raised step around the top edge of the HOTBIN seal which interlocks like a tongue and groove join when the lid is closed. This improved seal helps keep the lid firmly closed, prevents any water ingress during heavy rainfall and locks in that heat so the HOTBIN works even more efficiently.
- Even Better Looking - The protruding hinge has been removed from the original design to make the whole unit perfectly square. The aeration mesh now slots into the base instead of sitting proud on the exterior of the unit, improving the overall look.
Please note: Delivery to addresses in England, Wales and Southern Scotland is £4.95. If you live north of the Scottish Central Belt, on a Scottish Island, in Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Isles of Scilly, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight and Channel Islands your order will incur an additional delivery charge - see below for details.
Please allow 5-10 working days for delivery - HOTBIN Gift Certificates Available on Request
- 200L HOTBIN
- User Guide
- Lid Thermometer
- 2 Cam Straps (colour may vary)
- Kick Start Bottle
- Internal Thermometer
- Raking Stick
- 25L Bag of Bulking Agent: partially composted wood chip
- Material - made from expanded polypropylene (EPP) 50mm thick walls - Lightweight (96% air) & 100% recyclable
- Dimensions - 550mm wide x 550mm deep x 1145mm high. Requires 675mm depth & 1605mm height for the lid to be fully opened.
- Capacity of 200 litres - approximately wheelie bin sized
- Weight 8kg (when empty) - 22kg including everything supplied
- HOTBIN is delivered fully assembled with user guide included
- Situating the HOTBIN - anywhere on a flat surface - soil, patio, grass, gravel or paving in sun or shade
- Waste requirements - Minimum of 5kg/10litres - 2 small 5 litre kitchen caddies of food and/or garden waste per week
- Designed for an average 3-5 person household with a small garden.
- Bulking agent - partially composted woodchips required in hot composting to aerate the waste.
- Shredded Paper - used to control moisture levels in the HOTBIN.
- Long-stem thermometer for tracking temperature during setup of the HOTBIN included
- Winter 'kick start' heater (also known as a 'hot water bottle') included
- Fully insulated walls
- Uses latest composting technology
- Hinged lid
- Helps promote temperatures of 60°C in top layer
- Internal thermometer for tracking exact temperature in top layer of waste
- Air inlet and outlet for effective aeration
- Capable of producing mulching compost in 30 days and mature material in 90 days
- Manufacturers advise cooked meat/bones/fish can be added
- Airtight lid to reduce smells and unwanted visitors
- Aeration valve plate to moderate temperature
- Biofilter unit to stop any unfriendly smells
- Easy to remove hatch door panel to take out mature compost
- 3 year manufacturing guarantee on the HOTBIN unit
- 1 year guarantee on sundries (raking stick, cam straps, additional thermometer)
- Please Note: The HOTBIN is not vermin proof.
- For more information download the Hotbin User Guide (1.09MB)
Delivery is £4.95 to addresses in England, Wales and Southern Scotland. As the HOTBIN Composter is a bulky item, there will be an extra delivery charge if you live north of the Scottish Central Belt, on a Scottish Island, in Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Isles of Scilly, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight and Channel Islands. Please e-mail our Customer Services Department or telephone us on 0333 400 6400 (local rate) for a quote.
I have my my HotBin composter for so many years now that it has survived a couple of major moves, be aware it is fragile when empty if you twist it from the top. it is worth reading the instructions for use and keep mixing brown and green materials, as many others do I shred twiggy/woody materials in garden to mix with vegetable waste grass cutting dead flowers etc, and I do use the aerator device or carefully use garden fork occasionally also brilliant for shredded post bank statements or old secure documents, once in composter they control the moisture levels and provide more carbon to the mix the compost produced goes into a holding bin which is used for cuttings, seedlings and mulching i have finally done some damage to the body by attempting to relocate a few feet without emptying first (act in haste repent at leisure!) but it still works. amazing number of worms have moved in. expensive yes worth it definitely
purchased the wrong time of year to give a full review , I have used the bin for 2 weeks , At the moment the temp gauge reads a steady 60 deg F so not bad from cold and half empty . Bin looks well insulated and sturdy so should last.
I have had one of these bins for almost three years and found that it takes a reasonable amount of attention to work well. The turnaround for compost is much faster than a small compost heap but the mix of green and brown materials must be right otherwise it will not heat up to the higher temperature required, worth adding fine wood chip to the mix. The bottom lid wears after awhile and does not fit so easily and the straps become frayed also watch the air holes in the base are kept clear. Better than a compost heap, keeps the rats out and is tidy but not a complete success.
The HOTBIN Composter comes with a whole host of accessories to help your hot composting take off;
• 40 litre bag of bulking agent (composted wood chip) to use if recycling food waste included in the price
• Long-stem thermometer for tracking temperature during setup of the HOTBIN included in the price
• Raking stick included in the price
• Winter 'kick start' heater (also known as a 'hot water bottle') included in the price
The HOTBIN comes in one size. To keep it hot composting, you need to feed it a minimum amount of waste regularly. It is important you match the HOTBIN to the amount of waste you generate. The unit is designed for a 3-5 person family with a small-medium garden.
In the unlikely event you experience any problems with your HOTBIN composter, you can contact the HOTBIN Helpline on 0845 621 0095, drop an e-mail to email@example.com or visit the HOTBIN website at www.hotbincomposting.com
You can also download the useful HOTBIN USER GUIDE (1.09MB) with advice on how to set up and maintain HOTBIN.
What The Press Say
Grow Your OwnNovember 2019
The HOTBIN compost bin recycles all cooked food and garden wast in just 30-90 days by reaching temperatures of 40-60 degrees C. Watch the temperature rise using the thermometer in the lid as this product insulates the heat generated naturally by bacteria. No tumbling or turning is required.
James Martin's Saturday Morning KitchenMarch 2019
James Martin and David Domoney Talk About the HOTBIN Composter
The HOTBIN recieved a glowing review and David discribes the HOTBIN as "The Ferrari of the Compost Bin World".