Buy HotBin Mini Composter and Plinth (Save £10) GCO-076
The New HOTBIN Mini is a slimline hot composter designed for smaller gardens and for keen composters who have less waste. Half the volume of the HOTBIN Mk.2, the HOTBIN Mini is a 100 litre unit which benefits from all of the features on the Mk.2 model but on a smaller scale.
The HOTBIN works all year round including the winter months, it arrives assembled and is ready to use and comes with a whole entourage of extras which will help revolutionise your home composting set up.
Collecting the nutrient-rich liquid fertiliser from the HOTBIN is now even easier with the new Optional HOTBIN Mini Plinth (GCO-044). The Plinth raises your HOTBIN off the ground by 125mm (5 inches) providing easy access to slide a suitable receptacle underneath the HOTBIN tap when draining the liquid fertiliser.
Durable, sleek and hardwearing, situate the Plinth on a flat level surface and ease the HOTBIN into the contoured raised edges to provide a snug, firmly nested fit.
Makes collecting liquid fertiliser easy, Quick and easy set up and install, Waterproof and all year round weatherproof
- 100L HOTBIN Slimline Composter
- User Guide
- Lid Thermometer
- Kick Start Bottle
- Internal Thermometer
- Raking Stick
- 25L Bag of Bulking Agent: partially composted wood chip
Please allow up to 5-15 working days for delivery - HOTBIN Gift Certificates Available on Request
Please note: Delivery to addresses in England, Wales and Southern Scotland is free. If you live north of the Scottish Central Belt, on a Scottish Island, in Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Isles of Scilly, Isle of Man and Channel Islands your order will incur an additional delivery charge - see below for details.
HotBin Mini Composter and Plinth (Save £10) GCO-076
- RHS Chelsea Product of the Year 2019
- Made from expanded polypropylene (EPP) 50mm thick walls - Lightweight (96% air) & 100% recyclable
- Measures 450mm wide x 450mm deep x 1125mm high
- Optional HotBin Mini Plinth measures 456mm wide x 456mm deep x 135mm high
- Capacity of 100 litres - approximately slim sized wheelie bin
- Weight 4kg (when empty) - 18kg including everything supplied
- HOTBIN is delivered fully assembled with user guide included
- Situating the HOTBIN - anywhere on a flat surface - soil, patio, grass, gravel or paving in sun or shade
- Designed for an 1-2 person household with or without a small garden.
- Bulking agent - partially composted woodchips required in hot composting to aerate the waste.
- Shredded Paper - used to control moisture levels in the HOTBIN.
- Long-stem thermometer for tracking temperature during setup of the HOTBIN included
- Winter 'kick start' heater (also known as a 'hot water bottle') included
- Fully insulated walls
- Uses latest composting technology
- Hinged lid
- Helps promote temperatures of 60°C in top layer
- Internal thermometer for tracking exact temperature in top layer of waste
- Air inlet and outlet for effective aeration
- Capable of producing mulching compost in 30 days and mature material in 90 days
- Manufacturers advise cooked meat/bones/fish can be added
- Airtight lid to reduce smells and unwanted visitors
- Aeration valve plate to moderate temperature
- Biofilter unit to stop any unfriendly smells
- Easy to remove hatch door panel to take out mature compost
- 3 year manufacturing guarantee on the HOTBIN unit
- 1 year guarantee on sundries (raking stick, cam straps, additional thermometer)
- Please Note: The HOTBIN is not vermin proof.
- For more information download the Hotbin User Guide (1.09MB)
Delivery is free to addresses in England, Wales and Southern Scotland. As the HOTBIN Composter is a bulky item, there will be an extra delivery charge if you live north of the Scottish Central Belt, on a Scottish Island, Isles of Scilly, Isle of Man and Channel Islands. Please contact our Customer Services Department or telephone us on 0333 400 6400 (local rate) to place your order.
The bin arrived quickly and was easy to set up. It’s too early to tell how the compost will be but the temperature rose and I’m adding waste every 3-4 days
I am very pleased with this bin as the Council garden waste collection has been suspended. It is amazing how much goes into such a little bin in the two months I have had it, I have yet to find out what the finished product is like. A friend has been very impressed and gone off to buy one. Very speedy delivery and good price have recommended Harrod as best price. I am even thinking of buying a second one and giving up the Council garden waste collection.
Arrived well before expected date. Excellent instructions. Very easy to set up. Early days to clarify overall performance since during a cold weather spell, so used the hot water bottle technique and that seems to have worked. Noting considerable temperature changes in lid thermometer when unit is in direct sun, so now understand the importance of using the hand thermo.
The amount of liquid you will get will vary from user to user depending on the types of waste that are added to the HOTBIN. If you are adding predominately kitchen waste/grass which is high in water content you will produce more liquid, so make sure you are balancing out your paper. Please have a look at the following link: fix excess water issues
As long as you are hot composting the main thing is to keep your nose alert to a change in odour, as this will tell you if the bin is too wet and action needs to be taken.
Be aware things can change dramatically when high water content food waste is added. Each 5 litres (small caddy) of food waste will have 3-4kgs of waste which can contain up to 2 litres of water (i.e. a full large mixing jug).
Water is released during the composting process. In the HOTBIN, much of this water is removed as steam through the valve in the lid. However, when there is excess water it will drain down towards the ground, as it does, it dissolves humic compounds from the compost to form a dark brown liquid
It’s natural to get an overflow of liquid for different reasons as long as the liquid produced from the HOTBIN does not smell it is a good sign that everything is okay. The main thing is to keep your nose alert to a change in odour, as this will tell you if the bin is too wet and action needs to be taken.
If you are putting a lot of ingredients with high water content like grass and veg peelings you will make more liquid so, make sure you are balancing out your paper. When adding grass add 50/50 paper. Please have a look at the following link: fix excess water issues
Basic guidelines for collection & use of Leachate
- Always dilute liquid fertiliser (leachate) at a ratio of 1:10 (1 part liquid fertiliser (leachate) to 10 parts water)
- Once collected ensure the liquid fertiliser (leachate) is used within a 2-week period
- Do not use the liquid fertiliser (leachate) if there is a putrid smell or if you are draining it from an anaerobic HOTBIN.
- When draining we always recommend wearing gloves.
The liquid created by the HOTBIN does not have a high NKP (Nitogen, Potassium, Phosphorus) value so can be used as a fertiliser. The brown odourless liquid will be mainly Fulvic Acid and Humic Acid - both improve the uptake of minerals and can stimulate plant growth. Ensure you have collected an odourless, dark brown liquid. Take care if you have collected a fruity / acidic yellowish liquid, or a black pungent drain like thick slimy goo – see ‘why does the liquid fertiliser smell’ below.
Why does my liquid fertiliser smell? What do I do if it smells?
If the liquid produced by the HOTBIN smells fruity, acidic, or is pale yellow rather than dark brown these are good indicators you have excess water in your HOTBIN and the water is leaching intermediary organic acids out as it drains to the base. To stop the contents from turning anaerobic, you can remedy this by adding in extra shredded paper/cardboard to absorb the moisture and extra woodchip to provide additional aeration in the HOTBIN.
We do not advise you apply such liquid to plants. Many of these acids can be phytotoxic (bad for plants).
If you have black liquid or liquid that has a putrid or pungent drain like odour – the contents of your HOTBIN has gone anaerobic. We do not advise using this liquid either and you will need to correct the anaerobic contents, you can see how to fix an anaerobic HOTBIN here.
The liquid does look like good stuff so as long as the liquid produced from the HOTBIN does not smell it is a good sign that everything is okay. Keep your nose alert to a change in odour, as this will tell you if the bin is too wet and action needs to be taken.
What The Press Say
Kitchen GardenJuly 2019
Whats New? The latest news, products and facts from the world of kitchen gardening.
Hotbin Wins Top Award - This year's RHS Chelsea Garden Product of the Year Award 2019 has been awarded to the new HOTBIN mini. This is a small, efficient composter which packs in all of the original HOTBIN features into a smaller, slimline unit suitable for smaller urban gardens.