Weekly Kitchen Garden Blog - Planting out Leeks
Here at Stephanie’s Kitchen Garden this week we are going to be planting out our leeks. The seeds were sown into a raised bed back in March and are now a good size to be transplanted into the ground.
Our leeks always go into the ground previously occupied by our early potatoes and these have now been harvested. The ground will be dug over and have some homemade compost added as well as a feed of blood fish and bone. The young leek plants will be dug up and have their foliage and roots trimmed with sharp secateurs. Each leek is then dropped into a hole made with a dibber, leaving 6 inches between each plant, and then watered in. I love neat, straight rows of vegetable plants in the Kitchen Garden so we will be using a garden line when placing our plants.
This week we will be harvesting early garlic, sprouting broccoli, broad beans, strawberries and cucumbers.
Stephanie' s Recipe
- Strawberry Brioche Bread & Butter Pudding
- Spread 10 slices of Brioche with Strawberry Jam
- Thinly slice strawberries and layer slices of Brioche with layers of strawberries
- Finish with a layer of strawberries
- Beat 4 Eggs with 80g of caster sugar whisk until creamy
- Add 300ml of double cream and a teaspoon of good quality vanilla extract
- Pour the creamy mixture over the Brioche layers
- Sprinkle with caster sugar
- Bake in a Bain Marie in the oven 150 degrees for 20 minutes.