The Heron Scarer is a new and novel product developed solely to protect vulnerable pond areas from attack from Herons. It is easy to fit and has proved to be a very effective heron deterrent
The Heron Scarer is a new and novel product developed solely to protect vulnerable pond areas from attack from Herons. It is easy to fit and has proved very effective.
- With hungry herons able to pick off valuable fish stocks with ease, this scarer works by keeping the herons away from the edge of the water by effectively creating a perimeter fence of lines at differing heights and widths
- Easy to install and suitable for all pond design shapes and sizes, a versatile, inobtrusive solution that blends well into the scenery
- Adapted from the design of the Y-Stake products
- The products work by keeping Herons away from the edge of the pond by creating a fence of lines at different heights and widths effectively surrounding the pond and protecting valuable fish stock
- This system is very easy to install and is suitable for all sizes of ponds
- Kit includes 4 x 1ft Y-stakes, 4 x 2ft Y-stakes and 100m of clear line
Having lost nearly all my fish in a previous pond, I purchased this product - and it worked for many years. Yes, there may be the odd bird that gets caught up in it (in our case the odd young blackbird after walking through long grass at the pond edge and not seeing the lower wires, but it was released - and also a heron, proving that it works). If you check your fish every day, then nothing should come to too much harm. I have now installed this round a pond in our new house and have no doubts about its ability to keep the fish safe. I also put the wire across the pond as herons not only walk into ponds, but will fly in and land in the pond. The stoney ground mentioned by a previous reviewer is not the fault of the product, nor is the fact that they may swizzle round. You may have to re-stake them every now and then due to ground movement (worms, weather, etc) and the fishing wire may need replacing after a few years of weathering, but this product does the job.
Purchased 3 yrs ago. Difficult to push spikes into our stoney ground and quite a fiddly job to set-up on a naturally shaped pond. The poles do have a tendency to rotate, thus making the fishing line droop and ineffective. Visually a fairly discreet product in use. In terms of keeping herons out, has not been totally effective, but some of this could be the level of maintenance required when lines break (could be caused by cats or dogs - but not sure) Over the 3 yrs have had 2 wood pigeons caught up in the wires, wrote to customer service on 2 occasions to ask for advice in this regard, but no response. Yesterday a Red Kite got caught up in the lines, and had to be destroyed by the RSPCA..... I was extremely saddened by this. So will be removing this product from my pond this weekend.
E-mail sent to customer sympathising and explaining that a Heron Scarer has been used to in a pond adjacent to our Kitchen Garden for over 5 years without any similar incidents. We have advised the customer that we will be reviewing the instructions and design of the product and will be addressing the concerns raised. We would recommend that the stakes are held firmly in place to avoid these rotating and the wires getting loose. It is also important to maintain a gap between the wires to stop any birds getting caught.