Four metres of Slug Circle is the very last thing slugs and snails want to see arriving in your garden as this rot-resistant tough green plastic barrier and shockingly effective slug copper tape double act keeps plants of all shapes and sizes well protected from these greedy garden pests.
This versatile slug defence system is simple to install - simply cut the 5cm (2") deep green plastic barrier and secure with a strip of 3cm (1¼") wide copper tape - and rings of any diameter can be constructed within seconds. But don't just limit your slug protection to circles; the 4 metre (13') long flexible green barrier can be formed into almost any shape of your choice! The Slug Circles can be used to protect all susceptible garden plants - right from the smallest lettuce seedling up to an established hosta - is safe to use around children and pets and fits perfectly into any pesticide-free organic gardening set-up. Full instructions, hints and tips included.
- Slug Circles consist of 4m (13') of both green plastic barrier and copper tapes
- Plastic barrier strip is simply cut to size with scissors or knife
- Copper tape holds plastic barrier in shape
- Push completed ring into soil around plant
- Slugs and snails are deterred by electrical reaction of copper tape
- Place in position before planting or fit around established plants
- Use to protect vulnerable seedlings
- Will make loads of rings and last for years
- Completely organic and chemical free
- Ideal for use where children and pets are around
- You choose the length and diameter to fit your plants
- No risk to any other garden life
- Prevents both slug and snail attacks
On the plus side, these are much cheaper than solid copper rings and seem to work well. A bit fiddly to make up, but not too bad. However, not sure if the copper tape or plastic is 4m long, but because you have to overlap the copper the tape, I ran out of it with still a foot or two of plastic ring left. Apart from anything else, this seems an awful waste of plastic! It's claimed that the rings can be re-used but I'm not convinced that they can be unstuck and re-stuck many times. I would expect that the tape wouldn't stick so well on subsequent uses.
I bought this product as I wanted to make some larger oval shapes to protect lettuce and spinach seedlings, but it has not worked brilliantly! It was difficult to attach the tape to a large ring and I don't think that they will last for very long. I think it would be fine for making smaller rings, although as a previous reviewer said, there is not enough copper tape supplied to allow for the required overlap, so you are left with surplus plastic at the end. I also found that it was necessary to tape the plastic with a sticky tape before applying the copper tape, as the copper tape tears very easily. This product is pretty cheap, so I do not think you can expect much more at this price, but I have some solid copper rings that are still going strong after several years, so although they appear to be much more expensive, solid copper rings are probably better value if you will use them year after year.