This recipe is one of our favourites from Delia Smith 'Christmas recipes'. Keep it barely at simmering point for at least 20 minutes but do not boil or all the alcohol will evaporate.
- 2 x 75 cl bottles medium to full-bodied red wine (Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon is ideal)
- 1 orange stuck with cloves
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 6 level tablespoons granulated sugar or honey
- 2 inch (5 cm) piece cinnamon stick
- 2 level teaspoons finely grated fresh root ginger or ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons fruit liqueur such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier or cherry brandy (optional)
Put all the ingredients in a saucepan with 2½ pints (1.5 litres) water then heat to simmering point, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
Keep it barely at simmering point for at least 20 minutes – but do not boil or all the alcohol will evaporate.
This can be made in advance, then re-heated just before the party.
Serve it warm in half-pint mugs there will be 12 servings or else in wine glasses there will be 24 servings.