Jobs to do in the Garden in May
Summer is on its way!
Spring bulbs will be fading now and the flower borders growing in leaps and bounds, summer is on it’s way. Sowing and planting out bedding plants can begin in some areas of the UK but please keep an eye on your local weather conditions. It is now time to start getting back into mowing the lawn on a regular basis as the lawn will love the warmer temperatures this month brings.
- Watch out for those late frosts remember to protect your tender plants
- Regularly hoe weeds.
- Mow lawns weekly gradually raising the blade setting.
- Plant out summer bedding at the end of the month (except in cold areas).
- Lift and divide overcrowded clumps of daffodils and other spring flowering bulbs.
- Collect rainwater and investigate ways to recycle water for irrigation.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.
- Watch out for raspberry beetle and lily beetle grubs.
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days to aerate.
- Earth up potatoes and plant any remaining potatoes promptly.