The Winter Squash Queensland Blue is an Australian variety that produces bluish green, deep ribbed fruits that taste almost like treacle when roasted.
The organic squash plants arrive bare rooted around 10-20cm tall and produce large fruits which can grow to a weight of 3-4.5kg.
- Supplied as 3 healthy growing organic plants
- Winter Squash variety: Queensland Blue
- 3 bare rooted plants - approx. 10-20cm high
- Produces large bluish green, deep ribbed fruits
- Fruits can weigh 3-4.5kg
- If planting out in the early part of the season cover with fleece or cloches until well established
- Delicious when roasted
- Delivery from late April onwards
- Grown pesticide free
- Allow up to 3 weeks for delivery
Full sun and plenty of space is important. Squash are hungry plants so make sure you dig in plenty of organic fertiliser when you plant them.
These grow well outside, so if you have the space then go for a raised bed or similar, but they will grow well in pots too. They need to be spaced 1.5m apart.
Plant them outside when the risk of frost has passed and the weather has warmed up. Until then, keep them in pots undercover.
Dig in plenty of organic fertiliser and water thoroughly when you plant them and continue to water well and often. Harvest when the fruits have reached the right size. Be sure to cut them off carefully with a knife, cutting as close to the squash as possible at the stem.
Watch out for mildew on the leaves.