Raised bed gardening is definitely the way to go, there are so many benefits to growing vegetables in raised beds:-
- Improve drainage: Soil is raised above the surrounding ground level. However, this can be disadvantage in droughts as more watering may be needed.
- Increase soil temperature: Soil is raised beds is better drained, so warms up faster in spring.
- Enhance root health: Filling the beds with good topsoil enriched with fertiliser and organic matter gives excellent root zone conditions.
- Improve ease of management: Raised beds have a bigger soil volume than containers, so are easier to manage with watering.
- Match the soil to the plant: By filling raised beds with acid soil, for example, ericaceous (lime-hating) plants can be grown even where the underlying soil is alkaline.
- Improve ease of access: Raised beds are easier to manage for gardeners with mobility problems.
I have recently written some information on the Harrod Horticultural new website regarding ‘How & Where to Grow’ including some information on raised beds. You may find this interesting reading.
The best location is the sunniest place or the best place you have for good light. As you live in the North of Scotland this is very important for you as cooler temperatures and strong winds will affect the success of growing fruit and vegetables. I have mentioned factors to consider in the above link so won’t repeat them here but in answer to your question regarding orientation – in an ideal world your beds/vegetables would be grown in a North/South orientation in order for all your plants to benefit from good light.
I hope I have convinced you of the benefits of Raised Beds – should you decide to purchase one, Harrods are the experts in supplying raised beds – all are made here in our warehouse. We offer three different types of beds depending on your budget; Allotment, Standard & Superior – all come in various sizes including corner beds, with or without capping or liners, so you should find what you are looking for here.
Our Customer Services Team is always happy to discuss any queries you may have so please do not hesitate to call if you need any assistance.