The Harrod Slot & Lock® Cloche System is an innovative modular cloche with a high quality PVC cover for early season growing to help protect young seedlings and plants and also helps warm the soil, with 1m L Starter Kits and 1m extension kits, it is easy to create the perfect size cloche for your garden.
This innovative new cloche system is easy to assemble and with each cloche tunnel measuring 1m long x 54cm wide x 32cm high it provides plenty of room and protection to encourage strong and healthy plant growth. Simply choose the starter kit and then add as many extension kits as you need.
- Designed and manufactured by us in the UK
- Hoop framework is made from heavy-duty non-rust 16mm diameter aluminium and includes a top support rod and a ground frame for ultimate stability.
- Framework firmly secured in place with our award winning Slot & Lock connectors
- The tubing at each corner of the framework is designed to be pushed into the ground 13.5cm for stability
- Each cloche section measures 1m Long x 54cm wide x 32cm high.
- PVC Cover - UV stabilised for longer life
- The PVC cover has super strong webbing along all edges, ties to secure the cover to the frame and eyelets for ground pegs.
- The cover has a strong zip for easy opening or for complete removal of the cover - allowing easy access to your crops.
- Each starter kit includes 2 insect mesh end panels which provide essential ventilation and keeps out even minute pests.
Harrod Slot & Lock® KEY FEATURES:
- Extends to any length required
- UV Stabilised PVC Cover
- 16mm diameter non rust aluminium frame
- AWARD WINNING Slot & Lock® connectors
How to plan a Harrod Slot & Lock® Cloche System:
- Buy a 1m long Starter Frame Kit (2 hoops, framework, insect-mesh end panels & your PVC protection cover).
- Extend if required with 1m length Extension Kits (1 hoop, framework & cover).
- Additional 1m long Protection Covers are available separately for full growing flexibility
- Additional Cloche Mesh End Panels available separately
Note: Pictured is 1 starter kit & 3 extension kits
A year ago I was going to purchase the Longrow super cloche but having read the reviews with unfavourable comment over the flimsy end pieces I contacted Harrod who said that the manufacturer was going to modify them. I decided to wait but after a year the new version is not yet in production and the existing version is no longer available. The slot and lock cloche is substantially more expensive but it is well built and very flexible in the covering options available. My only criticism is that is fiddly to assemble. Screws have to be inserted into the black plastic 3,4 or 5 way connectors in order to secure them to the aluminium poles. It was particularly awkward to insert the screws into the corners of 2 and 3 way connectors. After trial and error, I found the best way was to partially insert the screws into each connector first and then insert the poles and finally tighten the screws up. Overall, despite the cost, this looks a high quality product. I have only bought the PVC covering so far but if it lives up to expectations I will consider buying the insect mesh as well.
Very pleased. Bit pricey and a bit fiddly to assemble but well worth the cost and trouble. Looks vey smart - far better than some of the tatty polythene stuff that can be seen flapping about after one season. Easy to move - my 4 m length can be moved en bloc.
We ordered this although the price was higher than other cloches on offer, and found the price is justified. A very well constructed robust product which is light and reliable. Very impressed. We will be ordering another and two mesh covers.
STARTER KIT - 1m L x 54cm W x 32cm H - includes 2 hoops, framework, insect mesh end panels & a PVC cover - GNE-240
EXTENSION KIT - 1m L x 54cm W x 32cm H - includes 1 hoop, framework & a PVC cover - GNE-241
SEPARATE 1M L COVERS - PVC cover - GNE-246
What The Press Say
Grow Your OwnOctober 2015
One Test - Pest Prevention Products - Dave Finkle
This product is very well designed and made, which is typical of the Harrod brand, and it required no more than 10 minutes of my time to construct. The slot and lock frame is very solid and uses aluminium rods and heavy duty plastic joiners. The cover is made of thick PVC and is cleverly supplied with insect mesh end panel to allow great ventilation and protection from tiny pest invasions! A nice touch is the system's ability to have additional lengths added to it. As a product it does deserve its price tag for build quality.
Which MagazineApril 2015
New Products - Find out what Which? thinks first...
Harrod Horticultural Slot and Lock Cloche System - A modular cloche system to which 1m starter/extension kits can be added to achieve your preferred length. A choice of cover allows you to plan for different challenges in your garden. Our Verdict: Using a cloche means you can get an early start with sowing, ripen soft fruit earlier and protect vulnerable plants from pests. Depending which cover, or covers, you decided to get (choose from PVC, 7mm soft mesh netting or insect mesh) it would be possible to do all of those jobs with this one-cloche system. The rigid metal bars of the frame fit together with plastic joints that are held in place with locking screws. It took slightly longer to put together than similar systems I've used, but felt a lot sturdier. The insect mesh I'd chosen fitted easily over the frame, and holes in the base for ground pegs made it possible to get the cover flush to the ground - essential to stop insect pests getting in. You'd need to weigh up the cost against the use you'd expect to get out of it, but I thought this was a good-quality, well-thought-out frame that should prove durable. - Janice Shipp, Senior Researcher