Jobs to do in the Garden in March
Depending on where you live in the country, Spring has usually arrived by mid-March. The milder weather means it’s time to get busy sowing seeds, cutting back winter shrubs and generally tidying up around the garden preparing for the busy season ahead.
- Protect new spring shoots from slugs by applying applying Nematodes to your soil
- Plant summer flowering bulbs & plant out young sweet pea plants.
- Lift and divide overgrown clumps of perennials.
- Feed Roses early Spring to stimulate growth.
- Top dress containers with fresh compost.
- Top dress the lawn and mow on dry days (if needed)
- Deal with weeds as they come back into growth.
- Start feeding fish and turn on the pond fountain, remove any pond heaters.
- In the Kitchen Garden plant shallots, onion sets and early potatoes.
- Open the greenhouse doors and vents on warm days to aerate.