Organic Vranja Quince Tree
Vranja Quinces are self fertile and large fruits that ripen yellow. Harvest in late late October and store for up to 3 months. Quince trees have attractive large white flushed pink flowers in the spring and their fruit ripens by late October.
Quince trees have been cultivated for centuries, maybe longer than apple cultivation. Quinces were used as ritual wedding offerings by the ancient Greeks and various Old Testament references may well have been about quinces.
Quince trees produce pear shaped fruits suitable for marmalades, jellies and as an accompaniment to cooked apple. Ripe Quinces have a strong, sweet smell and in the past were used as air fresheners. However, take heed! When picked, store Quinces away from other fruit because their smell can be transferred.
These are hardy trees, originating in central Asia & the middle east and grown much in southern Europe where they have hot summers. Bearing this in mind plant in a sheltered sunny position. Tolerant of a variety of soils but avoid sites that can become waterlogged.
In the UK the fruits do not ripen enough to be eaten raw and need cooking to be edible. In hotter climates they can become sweet enough raw if softened by early frosts which increases the quinces sugar levels. Worth a place in any garden or orchard Quince trees have attractive large, white, flushed pink flowers in the spring and their fruit ripens by late October. All are grown on moderate vigour Quince A rootstock.
- Organic Vranja Quince Trees supplied in moderately vigorous form on Quince A rootstocks
- Trees grown on Quince A rootstock approx. 1.5 when suppiled and reach 4-5m (12' – 15’)
- Raised on Soil Association certified and DEFRA inspected specialist nursery
- Prune in winter when dormant
- Fruits in 2 -3 years
- Fruit is coloured pale green before ripening to yellow
- Supplied with siting, planting and training leaflet
- Comes in maiden form for easy training and pruning
- Drooping, spreading habitat
- Attractive spring flowers
- Fruit ripens in October
- Store in a cool, dark location away from other fruit
- Store for 6 weeks before using
- Quinces will store for up to 3 months in correct conditions
- See our Guide to Successful Fruit Trees for more growing advice
Delivery - delivery of your fruit trees is £9.95 to most parts of the UK. Unfortunately fruit trees are unable to be delivered to Northern Ireland and Eire. Customers in the Scottish highlands and islands should e-mail our Customer Services Department or telephone on 0333 400 6400 (local rate) for a quotation.
This product is exempt from any promotions
Planting and Delivery Information
See our Guide to Successful Fruit Trees for more growing advice.
Planting - do not attempt to plant your fruit trees when the ground is frozen or waterlogged. The trees can be stored in their packaging in an outbuilding or garage for 2-3 days, or can be heeled into the soil where the ground is not as frozen. Alternatively, plant up in large pots or containers and ensure the roots have good contact with the soil.
Delivery - delivery of your fruit trees is £9.95 to most parts of the UK. Unfortunately fruit trees are unable to be delivered to Northern Ireland and Eire. Customers in the Scottish highlands and islands should e-mail our Customer Services Department or telephone on 0333 400 6400 for a quotation.