Artichokes Green Globe (5 plants) Organic
If you've never grown artichokes before then here's the easiest way to get started with 5 healthy growing plants and a few reasons why you should have a go at growing our Organic Green Glove artichokes.
Artichokes can be grown in borders, raised beds, large containers or on the allotment. Artichokes can grow to 1.5m x 1m and will make big clumps of arching, jagged silvery leaves.
They make good structural plants as well as having edible flowers. Plant in good quality well drained soil, water plants well until established and make sure they don't dry out in hot weather.
Cut back stems in late autumn and protect the remaining crown over winter with a thick mulch of straw or other material. In early spring cover the crown will well-rotted manure to help boost growth.
In the first year your artichoke plants need to put all their energy into making growth, so remove any flowerheads as they form.
In the second year, allow the edible heads to develop for harvesting in summer. Harvest the top bud first, when it's large and swollen, but before the scales have started to open. Pick the side buds when they have reached a decent size.
If you've never grown artichokes before then here's the easiest way to get started with 5 healthy growing plants and a few reasons why you should have a go at growing our Organic Green Glove artichokes
- They are low maintenance, reliable croppers
- Green Glove Artichokes are easy to grow
- They look fantastic
- Incredible flavour when picked fresh
- They are expensive to buy in the shops
- Artichokes are perennials so you will harvest from these plants for about 4-5 years
- Leave some space for them to grow as they can get quite large
- Very tight globe shaped green /purple head with fine flavour
- These plants will arrive bare-rooted with an approximate height of 10-20cm
- Grown pesticide free
- Order now for delivery from late April to July.