Slot Together Compost Bins
Buy 3 Bay Starter System (GCO-040) & SAVE £25!
Our Wooden Compost Bins made from high pressure treated Scandinavian softwood, exclusively designed and manufactured by us with planks that slot in and slide out of aluminium post fixings and its all backed up by a 4 year structural guarantee...More information
Buy 3 Bay Starter System (GCO-040) & Save £25!
Our Wooden Compost Bins made from high pressure treated Scandinavian softwood, exclusively designed and manufactured by us with 15mm thick planks that slot in and slide out of aluminium post fixings and its all backed up by a 4 year structural guarantee and encompass all that's good about composting and make producing your own invaluable home made garden compost as easy as possible.
Any compost bin worth its salt features a generous capacity, easy access and airflow and a lid and the slot together version delivers all this and more; after initial construction, each wooden panel slides out the channelled corner posts and with the simple starter and additional bin options available in two sizes, you can create a bin configuration to take all the compostable material your home and garden can produce!
Each slot together compost bin stands 78cm high; the medium starter bin measures 93cm square and has a 564 litre capacity, whilst the large starter (1.33m square) will hold 1219 litres; a 4 year structural guarantee, thanks to the high pressure treated Scandinavian softwood sourced from sustainably managed forests, gives you complete composting peace of mind and the optional lid helps retain heat, moisture and deter pests.
NB. Image shows 3 bin starter system GCO-040
- Slot Together Compost Bins available in two sizes
- Self assembly required
- An electric screwdriver is essential to aid assembly
- Planks require attachment of simple end plates and posts require attachment of aluminium guides
- Complete and comprehensive instructions supplied
- Medium bin measures 93cm square
- Large is 1.33m square
- Both sizes of bin stand 78cm H
- Planks measure 15mm thick
- Starter bins used as single stand-alone bins
- 3-sided additional bins link to starter bin to make multi-bay systems for sequential composting
- Add an extra bin for separate leaf mould
- Optional lids also available
- Medium bins have a 564 litre capacity
- Large hold 1219 litres each
- Manufactured from Scandinavian softwood sourced from sustainably managed forests
- Timber is high pressure treated using safe preserve
- Panels simply slot into channels in corner posts
- Posts reinforced with aluminium side profiles
- Just slide out panels for access and heap maintenance
- Slatted sides allow some air flow
- Lids fit inside frame for a flush finish
- Instructions contain detailed information for making compost
Decided to buy 2 large bins with lids rather than 3 standard size bins as 2 large gave 50% more volume than 3 standard for the same price. Delivery left in drive in full view of passers by, despite request to put round back. Quality of wood slats best described as variable, but corner posts sturdy. Easy to assemble if you drill pilot holes in slats (instructions state not necessary). Overall, better than a similar design bins that these are replacing.
Harrod had problems completing my order for 3 large bins, the stirrer arriving first, then the additional bins, before the main bin 5 days after promised. However, the unit is well designed but tedious to assemble, pre-drilling holes would have helped enormously. Some of the timber slats were also poor quality and are warping and becoming stuck in the runners, and there were screws missing, but replaced promptly. Good product, but could be better!
You MUST have an electric screwdriver and drill to put these together. One bin would probably take a day to put together but 3 bins are over 500 screws!!! It is a shame they do not come pre-drilled but with the right equipment this is not a problem. Don't give up when putting them together as the final product is excellent. I had an issue with attaching the batons for bins 2 and 3 but Harrod Hort. very quickly sorted this out, sent me longer screws and are now changing the instructions!!!! All the wood and screws etc arrived very quickly and undamaged.
Our Master Composter Martin Fiddes says; "Home composting is a must for any serious gardener. Well rotted compost adds essential organic matter to soil along with humus and greatly improves structure and the soil's ability to hold onto water and nutrients.
What's more, home composting is free, can be easy and greatly helps the environment as less compostable material makes it to landfill sites where it produces harmful methane gas - and you cut down on trips to the garden centre to buy compost too. It's a win/win situation!
It's also surprising how much compostable material your garden and kitchen produces; of course there's the usual, stems, deadheaded flowers, leaves and spent plants from the veg patch or border but don't forget kitchen peelings, cardboard and newspaper from inside the house. Filling a bin or building a heap is never a problem!"