Autumn chill sets in...
Although we had some cooler days in September autumn is now definitely here for real and it feels colder. It is a beautiful time of year with the trees changing colour. It’s a constant job raking the leaves and often seams pointless when the wind blows them around again but just think of all the wonderful leaf mould you can make for mulching your plants. It’s also time to start preparing for early frosts!
- Clear up fallen leaves regularly and bag up for leaf mould.
- Cut back perennials that have died down.
- Divide herbaceous perennials and rhubarb crowns.
- Prune climbing roses.
- Last chance to mow lawns and trim hedges in milder areas.
- Renovate old lawns or create new grass by laying turf.
- Move tender plants including aquatic ones into the greenhouse.
- Plant out spring cabbages.
- Harvest apples, pears, grapes and nuts.
- Protect fruit trees from the winter moth females laying their eggs.